Blog home

SIA business licence - who needs it and what does it mean?

Did you know that from 6th April 2015 (subject to Ministerial approval), all regulated UK security businesses that provide licensable individuals under a contract, will need to hold an SIA business licence? Venturesec explains what this means.

Which businesses are required to have the licence?

Nearly every company operating within the security industry will need to hold the SIA business licence regardless of legal status, location or size. Those offering private security as only a part of their range of services will still be required to hold the licence, as will any company acting as a source of licensable individuals.

Which security services require business licencing?

Manned guarding sectors such as Cash and Valuables in Transit, Close Protection, Door Supervision, Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) and Security Guarding; Keyholding and the immobilisation of vehicles (in Northern Ireland only).

Who won’t need a licence?

If you are a sole trader or self-employed and only provide yourself under a contract for services or under a contract held by another person who requires a business licence, you won’t need a licence. Neither will any business employing only 'in-house' security operatives.

For more information, visit:

ACS accreditation

What else should you keep in mind with SIA? Probably the ACS accreditation process, which is a useful and necessary scheme, but the whole process of checking paperwork, numbers, systems and procedures can seem daunting. We can help! Read our post about how to make meeting the ACS accreditation criteria for security companies easier.

Read Venturesec's original article here »

Looking for an easy to use tool to manage your security workforce? Book a demo with PARiM today! »

Sign up for 14 day FREE trial

No credit card. No obligations. No risk.

or BOOK A DEMO today